Who am I?

My photo
Hi, I'm Cameron (aka Iffy), a stay at home mother to 4 beautiful children. My family is my life! I am not crafty by nature....but I am learning =D I will share my experiences with you(good & bad) with crafts, DIY, cooking, and life. I say what's on my mind, and remain honest, it's just who I am. Love it or leave it =D So follow me and see my progress as I document my journey, and If All Else Fails....at least you have gained a friend and gotten some great tips or maybe learned something new along the way!

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Simplify 2012 ~ Beauty ~ Homemade Skin/Heel Softening Lotion for under $4

Pin It
Alright so I must admit, I get dry, rough heels especially in the winter. I
have tried many different foot creams & treatments with little to no relief. My heels are not cracked to 
where they bleed or anything but you can definitely see some crackage (yes I made that word up).

I came across a similar recipe here but like always I had to switch it up a bit.
I wasn't sure if it would even work so I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on it or waste good product in making it, so I took a trip to the Dollar Tree.  I would normally never purchase their products when it comes to beauty supplies, (and certainly not food) 
but I figured I could try it out & if it didn't work then I would only be out a few $$. 
So here it is, and if you are wondering yes it works & yes it smells great too! I am weird about
certain smells & even unscented lotions sometimes have a smell that bothers me. No weird smells here though.
I grabbed a bottle of Dermasil =$1(this is a lotion for extra dry skin)
a squeeze tube of creamy petroleum jelly =$1( found in the baby section)
At this point you can grab a large bottle of baby lotion for $1 too if you need to or you can use J&J
baby lotion in one of the many scents it comes in.  I personally have a bunch of baby wash, shampoo, & lotion I keep on hand for the littles. 
I also grabbed a plastic container for a $1 while I was there since I wasn't sure how much it would make.

So we are up to $3 or $4 of you purchase the baby lotion there too.
Now let's mix up a batch:
In a bowl I placed the whole tube of creamy petroleum jelly(4oz), half the bottle of
Dermasil lotion, 1/4 bottle of J&J lotion(it was a very large bottle with a pump sorry not sure of the ounces) & 1/2 bottle of J&J Naturals Lotion(I LOVE the smell of this stuff)

This recipe is very forgiving & you can really use any scented lotion you like, in case you don't want to smell like a baby....I am around little ones all day so for me it's fine =D I also let Sydney use this because she gets dry skin in the winter too & I don't want my 7 year old smelling perfume-y.
OK so take a hand mixer & mix until well blended. Mine looks pink because of the baby lotion.
If you used another scent of the baby lotion then it would be white. 
Again, this did not bother me =D
Use a spatula and put it into your container & now you have a great smelling,
very hydrating, lotion. I slather this on my heels & feet after my shower then put on my socks & when I remove them in the am I have smooth heels again =D Awesome!
I also use this on my body sometimes too but I prefer to use my Bath & Body Works lotion at night
because I like to switch up the scents & I also like to coordinate my body wash & lotion.
So I hope you try this out & it helps your dry feet & itchy skin too!

Be sure to stop by My Favorite Things Party & Link up ~ HERE
Much Love
~Iffy~
I Heart Nap Time
Print

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I may have to try this. I have a boatload of lotions because my skin gets so very dry during the winter.
    Thanks for visiting Saving4Six and commenting on my bathroom vanity organization. I am now following you via Linky tools.
    Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Iffy!

    What a great tip. I'm going to give this a shot because I've had a heck of a time finding something that works on my feet/heels. If the dollar store stuff works just as well as a brand would, that's a bonus!

    Newly following you through Linky Followers and GFC (for as long as they let us keep it, anyway. LOL) Looking forward to getting to know you better!

    Mary from Go Ahead Take A Bite

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a mango citrus body butter that is working wonders. I put some on after the shower, and that's it. It absorbs wonderfully and my heel are really soft now. I have the recipe on my site if you want to try that one too. Although it looks like you have it covered!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE getting comments, I want to know what you think of my blog posts & love making new friends! I try to reply by email but I may not get to reply to every comment.
Please email me directly if you have a specific question or need to reach me directly. XoXo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...